Would you like to get a part-time job, internship, voluntary position, or even achieve your dream career?
If so, do you know what employers are looking for during the interview process?
It turns out that school grades and qualifications aren’t enough. There are other employability skills and character traits that employers look for when recruiting young people.
Your grades and qualifications might get you to the interview stage of the recruitment process, but do you know what they are looking for next?
That’s what this episode of The Unstoppable Teen Podcast is all about ☺
You see, here’s the thing…
If you don’t know what employers are looking for when they’re recruiting young people, it’s very difficult to show them you’ve got it.
Ready to discover the top ten employability skills that researchers have discovered almost everyone need to do almost any job?
Click on the player above to listen now!
“There’s an unhealthy obsession with academics in school, and a worrying lack of the other employability skills that young people need to have successful careers in the modern economy.”
Kevin Mincher – Education Innovator
You will learn:
● Why Kevin increasingly concerned about students’ lack of understanding about what it really takes to get a good job. (1:37)
● The role of good grades in getting a good job or career, and why grades alone aren’t enough. (3:30)
● What Kaplan and the UK Commission for Employment and Skills discovered in their research on the skills that almost everyone needs to do almost any job. (4:53)
● Why Kevin thinks the current curriculum taught in school has become unbalanced, and the shocking percentage of business leaders that believe school leavers are not ready for the world of work. (6:13)
● The first employability skill that employers are looking for: accountability. (9:10)
● Why emotional intelligence is the second employability skill that employers are looking for. (10:15)
● The third employability skill: having a positive mental attitude! (11:05)
● That effective communication is the fourth employability skill that young people need to develop. (12:34)
● Why the fifth skill that employers are looking for is high-quality problem-solving skills. (13:51)
● The sixth skill: resilience. (14:46)
● That strong self-confidence is the seventh skill employers are looking for. Just be careful not to cross the line from confidence to arrogance! (16:45)
● All about skill number eight is: high levels of curiosity. (18:23)
● That the ninth employability skill is adaptability, and why it’s so important to be flexible. (19:24)
● Why the tenth and final skill you need is commerciality, and what that actually means. (20:10)
● Some ways you can develop the employability skills discussed throughout this episode. (22:56)
Click here to view this content on the Unstoppable Teen website:
“Modern employability skills need to become a more valued part of the national curriculum that is taught in all schools to all students. Until that happens, you need to master these skills in your own time at home.”
Kevin Mincher – Education Innovator
Download the FREEBIE for this episode!
If you like this episode please SHARE it with your friends and SUBSCRIBE on:
You may also like these episodes:
#42: Live your passion (Interview with Adventurer and Mischief Maker Anna McNuff)
#40: Developing teens’ financial literacy (Interview with Best-Selling Author Sharon Lechter)
#3: How to start a successful career? Insights from millionaire entrepreneur and best-selling author Daniel Priestley
Get ahead of the crowd!
If you practice all of these employability skills until you’ve mastered them, we think you’ll have an advantage over the competition and you’ll be well on the way to creating your dream career ☺
Please share this episode with any teenagers (or adults!) you know who may be planning to interview for a position in the future. We’d also love to hear your careers advice for young people, so please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Let us know if you have questions or ideas for a future episode. You can contact us anytime via our social media channels or by email at [email protected].
Thanks for listening!
Video published on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RtLgMj1YFk by UnstoppableTeen
Have you ever checked the Personal Development Courses on Udemy?